Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Overly Emotional Over NOTHING

@letitgo it was productive Smiley Happy
I did some colouring and played some lego games Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@Bee 

Hope you had a lovely weekend Smiley Very Happy. What lego games did you play? 

Thanks @Milkninja222 I played a bit of Lego Marvel and Lego Jurassic Park.
But I also have Lego undercover and Lego movie 1 Smiley Happy

@Bee Lego never gets old hahaha

I was wondering how things have been of late? Anything new happen? 

@Bee  I love Lego games! I also love the first Lego movie!

I hope you're doing well today. Heart

@Milkninja222@WheresMySquishy WE MUST START A LEGO GAMES THREAD!!! (I may have done it already Smiley Tongue )

This week has been intense. So much happened - I had an appointment with my psych where we talked a bit about what's been happening at work (I sent her a very long email the night before our appointment) and ended up crying most of the session. Partly because some of the stuff we talked about was so incredibly painful, but also because she showed just how much she understood and showed she genuinely cared. I've given myself space to journal and reflect on the session which helped me cope more with the emotions of all of it.

Things are settling at work. We had a higher boss come in and visit the office for a few days so that really minimized contact between Gem and myself (which I needed). I noticed myself feeling calmer in the office after Gem left each day, which was really hard to admit to myself and it's hard to write here too. Because I don't want it to be that way. I want to get along with her like I did Eve...
I was anxious to go into work yesterday because I had sent an email to Gem Wednesday afternoon letting her know a few things I needed work-wise, and I was anxious that she would react badly or tell me off. But when I came in Friday and was working when she entered the office the greeting reaction was very different. She reciprocated the polite greeting of "I'm well, how are you?" Which made me feel like she cares. And later in the shift when I asked a question, it was the combination of her response in a cheeky tone, her smile and laugh that just made some of the pent up fear of working with her float away. It was the part of her I'd seen before in her interactions with other/previous staff and in a couple of social work farewells. It was that interaction that told me that things are okay. She didn't hate me like my anxiety was telling me.

After having that positive interaction with Gem yesterday, I'm feeling more optimistic about working with her. I am a little cautious, but I'm not as fearful and anxious about it now.

I want to thank you all again for helping me through this and listening. It really has meant a lot Heart

Highlighted

@Bee 

I am really glad that the week brought you more optimism and positivity Smiley Very Happy! You have been going through a difficult time. But now, things do sound like they are improve more and more, which is absolutely excellent! Looking forward to hearing more about this, and I'm happy that you are feeling better about what your relationship with Gem holds. Its exciting to know, and thank you for sharing this with us! 

Wow @Bee - you have had an intense week! It sounds like even though the appointment with your psych bought up some heavy emotions, that it was overall a cathartic experience? Sometimes having a long cry in a safe space can be exactly the emotional release we need Heart 

You seem to have really positive coping strategies which is great to see - I also like to journal. Definitely helps with processing big feelings. Also, glad to hear you are settling into work and feeling more comfortable with your co-worker. Things like that take time and it can be even harder when your anxiety is telling you stories about what people think of you. I hope your relationship with Gem continues to become more and more comfortable Smiley Happy 

@Milkninja222 it's slow progress. I cried yesterday after she ticked me off for opening the mail before I did the banking (shrug).

@Bre-RO It was an emotionally intense week for sure. That's kind of correct. It is helpful seeing my psych, but it's also so draining going through all the emotions again.
I do hope things with Gem become more comfortable, I was able to identify today that I am scared to go to her once I've made a mistake and need help to fix, or even to say I made the mistake but have rectified it again.

I spoke with the job agency today, and they suggested to confront Gem about her tonne of voice and how it hurts me when I need to talk to her. I feel like that would only issue to it. She is the manager, yes she's blunt and likes things done a certain way and order, but at the end of the day, I'm working UNDER her, not alongside her, so isn't it just something I have to learn to deal with?
I also know that she has been quite stressed with her new role, and that is tough to deal with. So I don't want to add another issue to her plate about me when I'm only there for 5 hours 3 days a week.
Maybe I just need to grow a backbone and deal with it?

Hey @Bee,

You should be really proud of yourself for pushing through such a difficult week. Sometimes it can be harder to just get through a day at work or school than we would want it to be, so it's super admirable that you're talking and working through how you feel. 

It does sound like you're in a pretty difficult position with your manager Gem, and it's really good that you've already been given a couple of options about  how you can approach the situation. I was wondering if there was a superior above Gem? Often in situations like this it can be helpful to discuss the issue with a third party who can give a bit more of an objective perspective, or who would be able to advocate for your position Smiley Happy