cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Good TV shows/movies!!

My personal recommendations are Silicon Valley and The Americans. The former's a comedy show about four guys trying to launch a startup in the eponymous tech hub - it's chock full of humor and nerdy awkwardness...and quite a lot of factual accuracy as its writer Mike Judge, was actually in the tech industry prior to going into the film and TV industry. It also has Zach Woods in it, and I'm pretty sure that guy is my spirit animal.

Silicon Valley deal with it catch silicon valley thomas middleditch GIF

The Americans, on the other hand is...uh. Not that. It's a show centred around 2 Soviet sleeper spies in Washington during the height of the Cold War. The twist? They're also parents, and their kids have no idea that they're spies. Oh, and also their new neighbor is an FBI agent. Which I know sounds sitcom-y as all hell, but believe me it's not. It's dark, intense, gritty conspiracy/psychological thriller elements are spiked with odd bouts of sharp, decisive action and plenty of well-balanced political commentary on the history of that period. There are no real "good" or "bad" guys in the show, and the characters are often just doing the best they can to help themselves and their countries survive. Everything from the writing to the characters is phenomenal. Well worth your time, if you don't mind how incredibly dark things can go (I'd probably rate it as being slightly to moderately darker than Game of Thrones). Oh, and TW's for sexual assault in the pilot episode, although it's not a big part of the series, thankfully. (In the event where that might be triggering but you'd still be interested in the show, I'd just recommend skipping the pilot. It's a decent pilot, but hardly required to understand the rest of the show.)

Image result for the americans

Oh, and last but not least - Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. Hilarious, on-point comedy designed to inform you about important social issues ranging from mental health to global warming, to income inequality, student loans, civil rights, abortion, torture and...there's been like 100 episodes I'm not going to be able to list them all. Point is, you'll laugh, and you'll learn. What's not to love?

Image result for john oliver gif

@scared01 yeah something like that... I'm a bit behind on them at the moment but I love sitting down and binging on them :3

@Karinaskii I just finished the last season of OITNB! Too bad we have to wait a whole year for the next one D:

@N1ghtW1ng I love good animated movies! How good it is just to chill out and watch some cartoons Smiley Happy

@Asche they are such good suggestions! I haven't heard of Silicon Valley or the Americans but I'll have to give them a look, they sound so good! I love both comedy and political action/drama so they both sound right up my alley.

And how good is John Oliver!! I have seen some of his videos on YouTube and they're so hilarious and educational at the same time. I love stuff like that, it's what got me into watching comedy shows and stand up.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I'll make sure to let you know how I find them! Smiley Happy

@lokifish just introduced me to the hilarity that is Brooklyn 99. Aside from that, I would recommend Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Person of Interest, Jane the Virgin, United States of Tara, House M.D. and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, all of which have funny elements to them!

Also Parks and Recreation!

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Omg I live for House and Brooklyn 99!! I'll have to check out the others though @letitgo, they sound awesome Smiley Happy

@basketofmonkeys I also recently started Orphan Black, and from the couple of episodes I've seen, it looks pretty good!

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Orphan Black! Literally keeps you on the edge of your seat.

The Flash! I heard it from tbbt and honestly thought it wasn't gonna be good but one look at a scene on youtube and I was sucked in haha.

Also, How I met your mother is good. Lonnggg but good. House MD is always a fave of mine!
Highlighted

I haven't seen Orphan Black yet but I've had so many recommendations about it... I'll have to give it a look! Smiley Happy

@letitgo Orphan Black is so good! I can't wait for the new season to come out, shame it's going to be the last one though