cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Books!

Anyone else love nonfiction? I read a really good book recently called "Musicophilia", by a neurologist, Dr Oliver Sacks, about specific cases of music affecting people's brains, from a guy who's music tastes changed rapidly after he was hit by lightning, to people with amnesia having memories sparked by music!

It was really, really interesting! I love reading cool stuff about music (as many of you know, I'm a huge music nerd!) and cool science stuff, so it was the best of both.

The next book on my 'to read' list is "A Drink With Shane MacGowan", which is a biography of the lead singer of The Pogues (my favourite band) which is basically transcribed conversations from his then girlfriend (and now wife!). It's sort of controversial, because he said some awful things about other band members, that he's since taken back, but it would be really good to read anyway, to see what the fuss was about.

@letitgo Oh awesome, that sounds right up my alley! I love art, and I thought the style of narration in The Book Thief was so creative so I can't wait to give this one a go. Thanks for the rec! 

Avi

Books are so good!!!

The last one I read was Our race for reconciliation by Anita Heiss. Was really good, I think it should be encouraged at schools as it talks about why we have national sorry day and is appropriate for primary age. 

Someof my favourite books are detective stories, and lately I loved reading Becky Albertalli’s books and I loved the characters and the variety of sexualities. 

Probably my favourite book is don’t stop thinking about tomorrow by Siobhan Curham. I loved it, and found I could relate to Stevie on some level as well as she is very cool. 

Musicophilia sounds great @trashconverters!! I read and loved The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks...

Funny you mention Anita Heiss, @Avi, I'm currently reading Growing Up Aboriginal in Australia, and Paris Dreaming! I really admire Anita Heiss and would love to meet her one day Smiley Happy  

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Hey everyone! It's been a few weeks but I have some great book recommendations:

I finally finished Any Ordinary Day by Leigh Sales and it is probably my favourite book that I have read in a long time. She interviews so many interesting people and I feel like I learned so much about post-traumatic growth, resilience and getting the most out of life from reading it.

I also finished Turtles All The Way Down by John Green, which was an incredible look at what it looks like from the inside of an OCD sufferer's mind. As someone who has OCD myself, it was fantastic to read such an accurate account of what it can be like to live with a mental illness. 

After that, I read the Tattooist of Auschwitz, which I think a few people have mentioned on here before. SO MANY TEARS! It was an absolutely haunting and beautiful story. It is so hard to imagine that the atrocities that happened to the beautiful people in the story are true, it just blows my mind. Would highly recommend. 

Now I'm onto Educated by Tara Westover, which is a non-fiction account of a girl that was born to survivalist Mormons in America and left home at 17 to educate herself and attend school for the first time. I'm only a few chapters in but it is so interesting! 

@queenP Hey - I love how you are really into reading books! I love books too and I have not read any of those books you recommended. I am reading The Da Vinci Code at the moment and it is pretty good. I haven't been reading it as much lately but you have inspired me to want to read more again so thank you. 

@mspaceK hahaha I'm a bit of a fraud - I don't get much time to read, and it's not my favourite thing to do, but I love listening to stories, so I listened to all of these as audiobooks! Everywhere I go, I pop in my headphones and listen to my books. It suits me a lot better than reading. I hope you get back into the Da Vinci Code soon, I loved the movie and apparently the book is even better! 

Highlighted

Omg I LOOOOVED Educated @queenP! Would love to hear your thoughts on it!

I just finished reading The Memory Collector, and tomorrow I'm going to the library to pick up Boy Swallows Universe Smiley Happy 

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm finding the dynamic in her family so interesting! I'll be sure to update you once I finish it. 

My Mum is reading Boy Swallows Universe, apparently it is fantastic. Let me know what you think Smiley Very Happy

I'm not sure if I've posted on here yet! Smiley Very Happy So I'm a literature major at uni (as well as a psych major) so I love books, but unfortunately lately I haven't been reading as much due to depression acting up Smiley Frustrated. I usually can only focus on one book at a time, and at the moment I'm 'reading' King Lear by Shakespeare (listening to/ reading the script at the same time). It's kind of annoying because I usually get a lot of reading done on train/bus trips, however I don't have a physical copy of Lear and Youtube (where my favourite recording is) doesn't like to be opened at the same time as a web browser on my phone.

I recently discovered a book called "Because We Are Bad" by Lily Bailey and I'm super excited to read it. It's a memoir of the author's experience with OCD and although I have only read the blurb I feel like I've never really related to a book more before. The author mentions her OCD manifested a secondary 'voice' of sorts in the form on an imaginary friend, which is an experience I thought was totally unique to me. I love how books can be so helpful to offer insights and help you feel less alone in the times you need it most. Another example is that I feel I read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath at absolutely the perfect time in my life: a time I was really struggling with uni/ perfectionism and at the risk of becoming really unhealthy because of it. It really spoke to me.

I was wondering if anyone had any literary-named pets? My cat is called Tybalt from Romeo and Juliet (the Prince of Cats!) and my dog is Cyrus, whose name I stole from the Unwind series by Neal Shusterman. Smiley Very Happy